in 19 years that the Canadian Junior A final went to overtime. | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
miaowang123
miaowang123 Jun 13
CHICAGO -- Washington Nationals starter Tanner Roark always will have good memories of his debut at Wrigley Field. Anthony Lopes Jersey . His second visit, not so much. Roark (7-5) allowed four runs on 10 hits and one walk over six innings in a 7-2 setback in front of several friends and family members, as the Cubs snapped his personal streak of four consecutive victories on Friday. The loss took place 10 months after the University of Illinois product was credited for a victory in relief at Wrigley Field, the first appearance of his career there. "I pitched here last year, so I got all the jitters out when I saw everybody and (heard) everybody chanting my name out there in the bleachers," Roark said. "I got them all out then." Nine of the 10 hits Roark gave up were singles, including a half-dozen by the last four batters in the order. "I was base hit to death," he said. "They were squaring the ball up and hitting it right through the holes, so you know, theres nothing you can do about it. I get them again I believe on the Fourth of July, so Ill come back out and go get em then." The Nationals took the first two games of the four-game set. "The last couple of days with Doug (Fister) and Tanner, theyve put together some long at-bats," Washington manager Matt Williams said. "In that one long (fourth) inning for Tanner today and a couple long innings for Doug last night, they were grinding out at-bats on em. Its a credit to their hitters, too. We didnt get it done again today, but we get two (games) tomorrow to think about it." Catcher John Baker had three hits, a walk and four RBIs, while batterymate Jason Hammel continued his dominance of the Nationals with 6 1-3 innings of two-run ball. "(The players) have been developing a personality as a team," Cubs skipper Rick Renteria said. "Theyre having fun and getting to know each other, doing whatever it takes to play the game (the right way)." A .160 hitter at game time, Baker capped his big day with a bases-loaded, three-run double off reliever Jerry Blevins in the seventh inning. The four RBIs doubled his season total to eight. He also had four RBIs against the Nationals on Sept. 4, 2009, in Washington. Chris Coghlan, Justin Ruggiano and Ryan Sweeney each had a pair of hits in the 13-hit attack. After Adam LaRoche launched a solo homer to right field that tied the score at 2-all in the fourth inning, Hammel mowed down the next 10 batters before Wilson Ramos singles with one out in the seventh inning. Reliever Brian Schlitter entered the game and induced Ian Desmond to bounce into an inning-ending double play. The Cubs never looked back after Sweeneys two-out, two-run single gave them a 4-2 lead in the fourth inning. NOTES: Cubs OF Junior Lake was cleared by team physicians but did not play. He reluctantly left the series opener the previous night after a head-first collision with a steel door in right-centre field. President of baseball operations Theo Epstein said the organization would look into padding the doors for safety. ... Each team plans to use its so-called 26th man in the day-night doubleheader on Saturday -- rookie Dallas Beeler (0-0) for the Cubs in the opener and Blake Treinen (0-3) for the Nationals in the nightcap. Gio Gonzalez (4-4) will open for the visitors in the afternoon contest, while Jeff Samardzija (2-6) will get the ball for the home team in the second game. The Nationals are expected to promote LHP Xavier Cedeno from Triple-A Syracuse for the twin bill, while RHP Taylor Hill will move down to create a roster spot. ... The Nationals are hoping that OF Bryce Harper (left thumb surgery) will return to the parent club early next week. Adrien Silva Portugal Jersey . -- The Oakland Athletics and free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon have agreed to terms on a US$2 million, one-year contract, bolstering their depleted starting rotation. Joao Moutinho Jersey . He was attracted by the punishing defence, the strong running game and a coaching staff he trusted. The 49ers announced Thursday that Manningham had signed a two-year deal to join the team he helped knock out in the NFC championship game two months ago in their latest offensive upgrade at wide receiver.VERNON, B.C. -- Derek Falloon could not have asked for a better way to end his junior hockey career Sunday. Falloons goal at 15:01 of overtime sealed the Yorkton Terriers first RBC Cup championship with a 4-3 victory over the Carleton Place Canadians. He jammed in a rebound to cap Yorktons comeback from a 3-1 deficit with less than three minutes left in regulation time. "Its unbelievable. Its just the best feeling and I dont think Ill ever score a bigger goal than that for the rest of my life," said Falloon, 21, who has used up his junior eligibility. Falloons goal gave the Terriers their first Canadian Junior A championship in their fifth trip to the tournament. Yorkton placed second to the Burnaby Express, led by current Ottawa Senators centre Kyle Turris, in their last trip to the RBC Cup in Streetsville, Ont., in 2006. The Terriers had finished no better than third in their three other trips, all in the 1990s. The puck barely crossed the line as Carleton Place goaltender Guillaume Therien attempted to cover it. While the crowd waited, the referee confirmed it was a goal. After trailing 3-1 at the end of the second period, the Terriers forced overtime with goals from Tanner Lishchynsky and Dylan Johnson eight seconds apart in the last three minutes of the third period. Daylan Gatzke had Yorktons other goal and Kale Thompson made 31 saves. Anthony McVeigh, Stephen Baylis and Andy Sturtz scored for the Canadians while Therien stopped 42 shots in the losing effort. Falloons overtime winner was his second of the tournament. He also scored in extra time against Dauphin in the round robin. "I guess I just happened to be at the right place at the right time," said Falloon. "Im sure any of the boys could have (done) it. Lucky me, I guess." Falloon missed the first three games of this tournament with his third concussion of the season, suffered in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoffs. He missed most of the Western Canadian championship tournament, from which Yorkton qualified for the RBC Cup. Yorkton coach Don Chesney said Falloons return brought life to Yorktons lineup. "He has a flair for the dramatic," said Chesney. "I joked around (saying) his first (overtime goal) didnt make the back of the net. (The RBC Cup-winning) one, I think, made it -- maybe a few inches over the goal-line. But in 10, 20 years, thatll be the nicest goal he ever scored and the biggest goal he ever scored." Johnson also provided some drama as his tying goal, at 17:20 of the third period atoned for an interference penalty he took at 14:05. "To bee honest, when we got that penalty with five minutes left, it was not looking too good, and they shut us down pretty good," said Chesney. Bruno Alves Jersey. "We didnt create a lot of high-quality scoring chances." Added Johnson: "That (goal) felt great, especially after getting that penalty a couple minutes before that. Getting that goal was unreal. It brought the life back into the fans. After we got that, we knew this was ours." Until then, the Canadians had a good reason to think they would claim the crown in their first RBC Cup appearance. "Looking back on it now, maybe I should have called a timeout after the second goal," said Carleton Place coach Jason Clarke. "But weve just been so resilient all year. Things didnt really seem to bother us." Baylis put the Canadians ahead 2-1 at 4:12 of the second period as he fired a shot from the slot after his teammates fought to keep the puck in at the blue-line along the boards with little space to work with. Sturtz increased the Carleton Place advantage midway through the second, stealing the puck from a Terrier in one corner and skating to the opposite side to put in a backhand. But just when it looked like the Canadians could begin to rest easy, Lishchynsky and Johnson sent the game to overtime, setting up Falloons special moment. "Were proud (of getting to the final), but its a sour taste, for sure," said Clarke. Falloon received advice from his cousin Pat Falloon, the former NHLer who was drafted second overall by the San Jose Sharks after Eric Lindros in 1991. "(Pat) was talking to my dad," said Falloon. "We family-farm with him (in Foxwarren, Man.) We keep in touch with him. He was texting my dad and telling me to keep calm and just do what I can do." The RBC Cup adds a second Canadian junior crown to the extended Falloon family. Pat Falloon won a Memorial Cup with the Spokane Chiefs in 1991, when he was named the tournaments most valuable player. "Ive heard stories," said the younger Falloon. Falloons hockey future is far from certain. He only knows how he will spend his summer. "Were just going to celebrate, and then Im going to go back (home)," he said. "Ive got to get to work on the farm." Notes: The game marked the first time in 19 years that the Canadian Junior A final went to overtime. ... Los Angeles Kings centre Jarret Stoll sent a congralutory tweet to Yorkton for reaching the final. Stoll grew up in the Yorkton/Melville area. a Yorkton assistant coach John Odgers is the son of former NHLer Jeff Odgers. Wholesale NFL Autographed Jerseys Cheap NFL T-shirts Cheap Authentic Jerseys Cheap NFL Hoodies China NFL Hoodies China NFL Jerseys China NFL Gear ' ' '